Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sock Newsflash - Bordhi is Cat's Meow

Okay, knitting life is so complicated.

Not that I'm complaining. But just when I thought that I had my next few projects queued up, along comes something so astonishing that it could upset any knitter's proverbial apple cart.


The mail carrier had a special gift for me today . . . Cat Bordhi's new book New Pathways for Sock Knitters, Book One. I haven't actually read this book yet, not in a serious way . . . just paged through it and catching a sentence or two here, a snippet there . . . but with its focus on various types of sock architecture, along with many ultra-creative patterns in each, it's all I can do to focus on my UFOs. This book is calling out to me . . . read all of me! Try this one! No, that one, it's even more spectacular! It's more than a book of patterns; it's a way (actually, multiple ways) of understanding how to put together a sock and why the knitter would choose one method over another. Bravo, Cat! (As if you needed more accolades after your previous work . . . but you get more of mine anyway!) I can't imagine what she's got in store for us in books two & three!

What's a knitter to do?

An entreaty to my unborn Forest Path Stole and DH's sweater:
Please forgive me if I detour off of my intended path that leads to the creation of you both, at least for a little while. The temptation of the sock pathways may be too powerful to resist. You will get your chance, I promise.

I think all Paloozers and other sock knitters everywhere might want to give this book a look-see, despite its fairly hefty price tag, not discounted anywhere as far as I can tell.

And speaking of Paloozers, still no more word on Sockapalooza either upstream or downstream. :-( I'm just hoping, hoping, hoping that my downstream Pal really is on vacation,and that the purple lace sockies I made for her are waiting safely for her in a secure location. I wouldn't mind getting my socks, either, though I can be patient . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have Cat's book too - bought it as a result of her time on Knitty Gritty (though the Coralis sock she did there and DIY KG instructions are nothing like the book's view). I have made two Coralis socks with Austermann Step and I love the thickness and the overall feel of the yarn.

As for not receiving socks, I have not received mine either and I get more upset everyday that my pal has never contacted me at all. When there is no communication it leaves us to fill in the blanks and that is not a good thing.

I would hope those who don't plan to finish or are in some stage of finishing would be required to have to say something to us. If you look at the paloozers list for some who are not marked as finished they don't even talk about doing a sock.

I will come off the ceiling now and just keep hoping someone will communicate. It really has made me concerned about participating in any swap. And I took extra effort to make sure my pal had her package by 2 Aug. Unfortunately she doesn't have her own blog nor did she use the one available to all to comment on what she thought of my socks. And I worked so hard and spent money on some really nice items to include in the package.

Anonymous said...

Anon, I hope you'll forgive those who have been neglectful.

I noticed, too that some paloozers didn't mention the socks. Did you see that Alice was/is very ill? Her blog doesn't say if she recovered enough to send her socks.

There are so many others that spoiled their pals.

I'll hold your hands while you wait.

If I had been your sock pal I would have been thrilled. I would have been doing a happy sock dance. I would have worn my socks to bed.

I appreciate how hard you worked on them.

I hope you both get your socks soon. I know how hard it is when you don't know what's going on.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Just finally saw your comment on my blog -- for some reason it didn't email me! Thanks for the kind comments on my sox! Take care and "read" you soon!